Top Western Artists Alberta-Bound
For ten days every July, some of the top western artists in the world converge at the Calgary Stampede for the largest juried western art show and sale in Canada.
The show attracts art collectors from as far away as Asia, Europe and the U.S., not to mention the legion of collectors from Canada. Here visitors have an opportunity to speak with the artists, exploring the techniques and often the inspiration for their work. You may walk in a stranger, but you’ll leave as a friend as the passion and interest these keen professionals have in their craft is inspiring in itself, let alone the phenomenal quality of their work.
There is also the blockbuster Art Auction where, for the price of an auction ticket, western art collectors, buyers and artists alike are immersed in a head-turning, fast-action evening complete with a buffet, Quick Draw artists and the main event, the live auction of original works of art. It’s also quite a fashion show—and a good place to spot celebrities.
Canadian Cowboy Country is proud to be a continuing sponsor of the Western Art Artists’ Studios, presenting a custom buckle for Best New Artist, Best Flat Art, Best 3-D Art (sculpture) Photography and Best of Show.
The Calgary Stampede Western Art Show and Sale is held July 8–17, 2011 at the Western Oasis in Halls D & E, BMO Centre, Stampede Park.
1. Clyde “Ross” Morgan Gearing Up 1/2 life-size bronze, with 1/2 size leather saddle by Carson Thomas, edition of 30, Prices start at $18,000 www.clyderossmorgan.com
2. Maurade Baynton Grandma’s Love 35” x 25”, oil on canvas, $3,700 www.artincanada.com/mauradebaynton
3. Michael Perks Mia Be Genuine 8” x 10” x 6”, commissioned piece www.metalperks.com
4. Ron Pearce Outrider 37” x 27” x 28”, woodcarving, $50,000 www.ronpearcesculptor.com
5. Bryce Pettit The Raven 38” x 18” bronze; mesquite base, $6,500 www.brycepettit.com
6. Don Oelze The Signal 30” x 32”, oil on canvas, $7,400 www.donoelzeart.com
7. Scott Stuart Readying the Rope 11” x 14”, oil on canvas, $1,975 www.scottstuart.ca
8. Lisa Brawn Coyote 11” x 23.5” x 1.5”, woodcut, $1,300 www.lisabrawn.com
9. Roy Hinz A Little Behind 21” x 16” x 12”, black chlorite stone, $8,500 www.sculpturebyhinz.com
10. Mark Farand Chickens in Secrecy 10” x 8.5”, watercolour, $246 www.faranduniqueart.com
11. Bruce Miller Cattle 16” x 24”, oil on canvas, $3,950 www.brucemillerartist.com
12. Robert Behr/Leah Rollins Bear Spirit Vessel high fire ceramic, $4,200 www.behrartifacts.com
2011 Calgary Stampede Western Art Show Features
Original art is displayed and sold. Artists are present.
30th Annual Western Art Auction
The original juried art is displayed July 13–14 and will be auctioned on July 15. a
Western Art Gallery
Gallery Art is displayed in a cluster of an individual artist’s work. There is also the Artist’s Window where artists demonstrate their skills.
Western Photo Gallery
Juried photos are displayed in the Gallery area.
Artist Ranch Project
Each year, an Alberta ranch hosts a contemporary artist-in-residence program. The final works of four artists are showcased.
Major Art Shows 2011
Prix de West
National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum Oklahoma City, Okla., Jun 10–Sep 5 www.nationalcowboymuseum.org
31st Annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Western Art Show & Sale
Old West Museum, Cheyenne, Wyoming, July 22–31
2011 Quest for the West Art Show and Sale
Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indianapolis, Ind., Sep 11–Oct 9 www.eiteljorg.org
Cowboy Artists of America (CAA)
46th Annual Sale & Exhibition National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum,
Oklahoma City, Okla., Oct 14–15
Diane M. Anderson
Bronzes By Gina McDougall Cohoe
Clyde ‘Ross’ Morgan
Kim Penner Equine Art
Western Art Show